Friday, August 16, 2013

Dealing with Negative Feelings

It is Friday night and I am at Starbucks by myself.  I have been making an effort to start the weekend with quiet time.  Tonight, I listened to some music and surfed the web.  Eventually, I began looking for resources for self-esteem and confidence.  Just looking for the resources has brought some repressed feelings to the surface...

It began one morning this week, between the hours of 1am - 3am.  I was enjoying a magazine.  I used to read tons of magazines just a few years ago, and I really enjoyed them.  It was a great way for me to get engrossed in something other than my brain.  I haven't enjoyed reading a magazine like that in some time and it was really refreshing.  One article that I read made me burst into tears because I connected so strongly to it.  When the writer talked about the compassion and encouragement that her mentor gave her after confronting her about her drinking problem, I eventually realized that I am STARVING for encouragement.  I just now realized that I cried because even though she messed up, her mentor loved her still.  I have been afraid, since I was a kid, to show my real self, especially my weaknesses.  If someone saw how much I messed up, they wouldn't love me anymore.  I eventually believed that God was the same way and it totally hindered my relationship (my ability to have a relationship) with Him.  How wonderful to have someone love you back to wholeness!

I feel like God is whispering to me that I need to feel better about myself.  This is the key to my life improving...

I need to start having fun.  I don't do anything for fun anymore.

Tonight, I realized that I am scared, anxious, and verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry frustrated about my current life situation.  I need to pour my heart out because I am constantly on edge and not relaxing well.  How can I improve things starting right now?


No comments:

Post a Comment